THE ESTATETHE OWNERSTHE TEAM


With its 20 hectares (50 acres) in one single plot, Château La Vieille Cure appears on a famous map of the Guyenne region, known as the Belleyme map, dated 1780. Parish records show grapes were grown there in the 17th Century. The vines occupy a privileged location on plateaus and slopes that are oriented to the southeast. The estate runs along the River Isle at an elevation of 65 metres, where it soaks up the sun, while enjoying perfect drainage. This situation favors the growth of grapes that ripen generously and under ideal physical conditions.

The property has been greatly renovated since 1986 when it was bought by American friends: Bordeaux lovers who recognized the exceptional potential of the estate.

Parts of the vineyard were extended and replanted, without of course touching the very old vines, some of which go back over 75 years. A new winery was built, housing the latest equipment, and aging in oak casks was begun. The overall objective of these investments was to make high quality wines worthy of worldwide distribution.

The new owners launched a new marketing program for the wines, based on bottling exclusively at the chateau. Château La Vieille Cure had been little known outside Fronsac, but is now exported to more than 25 countries. The main markets remain France, the United States, China and Britain.

Improvements are still continuing. The owners are driven by perfectionism and intend to continue their efforts to make the wine amongst the highest ranking in the Libourne area of the Right Bank of the Dordogne.

© Chateau la Vieille Cure/The Old Parsonage Inc.

the estate our wines winemaking news press distribution/contact HOME